28 March 2019

8 Indoor Activities for Wheelchair bound Elderlies


8 Wholesome Indoor Activities for Seniors on Wheelchairs


During our weekly date with my parents, I would usually bring them the park for Vitamin D sunlight, shopping or meals at random restaurants.

Since I become a trainer 2 years ago, I make an effort to plan engaging wholesome activities for my parents. I try to include activities which stretch their brain cells and practice their fine motor skills while we spend quality time together.

Both of my aging parents require wheelchair to move around, hence the activities selected have to take this in consideration.

I find that it is easier to plan indoor activities for mum as there are more varieties of sit-down activities for females. Ladies can do flower arrangement, sewing, origami, beading, cake decoration, art and crafts... The list goes on... but there are limited tools for our elderly men. This is especially obvious when they are not highly educated. Sudoku, crossword puzzles or learning a new musical instrument would be tougher for them.

For my father, I chose items which are not kiddish, feminine or western; so he would feel comfortable using them. The following are some of the suitable tools which keeps my retiree dad occupied at home. They prevents dementia or degenerative aging. Some of these games are fitting for elderly ladies too!


1. Memory Game
A very simple memory game to play with old folks.
 
I bought it from a push cart.



2. 3D Model Building
Building a cool Jeep gives my dad a great sense of accomplishment.
Planes, tanks and architecture models are available as well. Very affordable.


We intend to paint it together one of these days.
 


3. Tangoes Game

Dad gets creative as he think of ways to form the shapes with limited pieces given.
Solutions are provided in this booklet.

This game set is suitable for the elderly as it is thick enough for adults to hold and
magnetic features to prevent the Tangoes from dropping. Brilliant for long-distance travelling.
This game can be played when the senior is alone.



4. Wooden Block Puzzles

The pieces are labelled with numbers.




5. Building Game
Plastic construction toys that joined by magnets.
Fun way to get the mind and hands working!


6. Coloring

Retro-themed coloring activity book "My Kueh Lapis". 



7. Calligraphy

Dad practicing Chinese calligraphy using papers that can be reused.


I intend to introduce western calligraphy to him.



8. Mahjong
All time favorite social strategy game!
My mother-in-law plays Mahjong with her siblings
weekly.


There are definitely many more ways to maintain an active healthy lifestyle, feel free to share additional senior activities ideas to me. 😊